Pages

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Simple pleasures

Today was an INSET day, a day off school for those of you who aren't in with all these technical terms. My 13 year old self would have probably gone shopping with my mum perhaps progressing to seeing friends by the time I got to year 11.
So what did I do today on my day of freedom I hear you ask? Wild 24 hour party? Trip to a theme park? Go up Laaandaaan?
No such luck.
Today, I worked for THE WHOLE DAY. That's right, on a day off, I did more work than I would usually do in a normal school day. There is something wrong here.
To keep my spirits up, I left the house briefly for about 20 minutes at lunchtime, and rewarded myself after a 2 hour History marathon with a magazine. This cheered me up no end, although some school girls did pinch the last copy of 'Look', and I had to settle for 'More', which is in danger of being confiscated by my mother because of the rude bits at the back.
But it is simple pleasures like these which make life better, so here is a list of some of my favourites.

1. Finding money you didn't realise you had. 
The best thing that happened to me once when  I was tidying and when I lifted up a book that I'd got for my birthday but had never read.... and £5 dropped out from my Grandpa! It made me feel loved and rich at the same time! I also love it when I put stuff in the secret pocket bits of my purse and discover a cheeky ten pounds about a month later. I should probably do this more often to save my money for a bit...

2. The song you actually want coming up on Shuffle.  
In my world, this is a sign from above that the day will be A Good Day. 

3. Finding leftovers in the fridge and making a veritable feast out of them. 
 My personal best is when I was confronted with: a packet of feta cheese, some chickpeas, butterbeans, a lettuce and some frozen sweetcorn. I produced a mean couscous-Greek-salad thing. Sadly today, my only choice was baked beans, but I can't wait to be a student and have a whole host of leftovers to make crazy meals with.

4. Getting a train you thought you'd missed.  
I almost get a rush of happiness when this happens on the rare occasions when I arrive at the station at 16.01 and still manage to make the 16.02. Most days, however, I get down to the platform, the train is STILL THERE, but the doors are shut. Swines.

5. Having the exact change for something.
Especially when you can use up all those pesky coppers

6. Fairy cake French Friday. 
 A phenomenon known only to my small but perfectly formed  French class. Last year, we had French every Friday before lunch, and it became a tradition for our teacher to bring in biscuits for the five of us. We adopted this ourselves for this year, and so far I have twice had the lovely surprise of rolling up (late) to class on a tedious Friday afternoon to discover a box of beautiful cakes. When it comes to my turn to provide cakes they will definitely NOT live up to the high standards set by the other two. The day I manage to position a sugar-paper flower or use crystallised violets or make a ginger fairy cake is the day when I will also magically become able to sew, paint, take beautiful photographs and generally morph into a domestic goddess.

7. NOT being late to French.  
Carrying on the theme, I made the rookie error of arriving late to our first class with the new teacher, thus earning myelf the nickname Latie [Lay-tee]. Previously, I considered myself to be a very puncutal person, but sadly I am now living up to my nickname. These days it is a nice surprise if I am not found trying to subtly sneak round the door while Mademoiselle's back is turned...never going to work in a class of five. 

8. Coming home to find tea in the teapot. 
 Saves the hastle of having to boil a kettle, and seems very homely. Even better if it is actually a drinkable temperature and not lukewarm.

9. Waking up before your alarm.  
This is about as likely to happen to me as someone asking my advice on Physics. So, when it does, it is a thing to be celebrated.

10. Clean sheets.
Guaranteed to erase worries and ensure a good night's sleep.

I was going to stop at ten, but there are just too many!

11.Finding a pair of tights without holes without having to raid someone else's supply.  
I constantly enrage my family and myself by getting 90% ready and then going off and doing something else. In the mornings I usually get completely ready except for tights and start making a cup of tea or having another slice of toast...and then have a manic two minutes trying to find a pair which do not have gaping holes in inappropriate places/ are not navy blue/bobbly/nail varnished beyond belief.

12. New socks. 
 I have no idea why, and this will definitely fix my reputation as a granny, but there is something about wearing new socks that are all soft before they get a hole in the toe or lose their elastic or get stolen by members of your family.

13. Tidying your wardrobe.   
When I get round to it, I always feel super efficient when I've had a good wardrobe clear out.  I class myself as superwoman if I separate my winter and summer clothes and put the unused ones into one of those vacuum bags under the bed.

14. Getting home just before it starts to rain
Phew.

15. Coming home when someone has done the shopping and the house is full of FOOOD!  
Shopping day is Thursday in my house and you have to be quick, because by Saturday, most of the good stuff is gone. In the same way, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, even Thursday afternoons if my dad is preoccupied, can be desperate times.

16. Because I just thought of another one. Unexpected bargains
One of these can transform my mood. The other day I bought what I thought was going to be a rip-off sequinny hairband, but turned out to be a steal at just £2.70! What a nice surprise at the till. But the ultimate bargain was when I bought a collection of Jane Austen books in a very pretty box (quiet you), which was labelled £30 reduced to £15. 'What a good price for five books', I thought to myself, only to get to the till and pay just a fiver for it! That is £1 per book! RESULT.

Before I destroy the limited street cred I ever had, I think that is enough for now. I'm off to go and watch one of my favourite programmes, The Apprentice-another simple pleasure!


4 comments:

  1. Latie :D I know the feeling, I was late for music once and for the next two weeks everyone called me 'largo' since that must've been the manner in which I walked.

    (Largo = slow, for anyone reading this and thinking 'wtf?!')

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that by tagging this post and assumably others like it under the heading 'Listmania', you will gradually be building up a list of lists. A good full list with everything ticked off is another simple pleasure :DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the money one, and Number Eleven: The Tights is "so me". And we have Biscuit Friday every friday afternoon in Tech...but with a slightly larger class than your French class (we have six)! Most of the others I found myself nodding my head and smiling at the things I didn't realise I did until you pointed them out! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM NEW SOCKS :)

    ReplyDelete