Pages

Sunday 14 November 2010

Old age sets in...

Although I have just turned 18, I feel like old age is already upon me. I realised my true age when one morning, my sister had put on Radio 1 at breakfast and I came down and demanded that the radio be changed to Radio 4 because it was "too early for boom banger banger FM". I then proceeded to listen to the Today programme over a bowl of porridge.
See?
I'm ready for retirement RIGHT now. I might as well start claiming my pension.
Continuing the list theme, I'll start with a list of my favourite elderly things to do. But, it's going to take a computer form, because...yeah I won't lie, I can't be bothered to scan in a written one.
So, here are my guilty pleasures. Possibly the most uncool things ever, but they make me happy. Please don't laugh.
Here goes:

1. Radio 4. Obviously the best radio station. Who needs pop music when you have the comforting voices of the newsreaders to ease you into the day? And, apart from the horrendous Archers, there are some gems of programmes. Trust me.

2. Earl Grey tea. For when normal tea just won't do, the lovely added lemony taste is perfect, and feels very sophisticated.

3. Drinking tea, of any kind, at every opportunity. It seems that cool kids drink coffee. Yuck. Give me a cuppa anyday and I will love you forever.

4.Baking. My cakes may look to the untrained eye, like they have been made by a blind four year old, but to me, they are perfectly formed.

5. Wearing  pyjamas or bedsocks at every opportunity. So. Warm.

6. Reading the newspapers on a Saturday morning. I like to know what's going on in the world, and what better way to do it than with a paper as big as your whole armspan stretched across the breakfast table, resting on the marmalade?

7. Doing the crossword. My Granny once came second in the Yorkshire Post crossword competition, and I am obviously following in her footsteps. During study leave, I got into a routine of taking a break with some tea (Earl Grey, naturally) and the easy crossword in The Times, and always felt very pleased if I managed to finish it.

8. Arranging my bookshelf in height/colour order. To be fair, I am not as bad as my sister, who has arranged hers alphabetically.

9. Costume dramas. My absolute favourite thing about Sunday nights. Lark Rise to Candleford, Cranford, Downton Abbey-you name it, I've watched it and loved it. And the best thing is my late night texts to Abby discussing the relative benefits of each episode.

10. National Trust houses.  Perhaps the worst sin of them all, I actually ENJOY being dragged round stately homes by my parents. Shocker. But it's just like Pride and Prejudice, Miss Bennet.

Any other suggestions of granny things I should do are gratefully received, as are assurances that I am not the only one who enjoys one, or all of these things!

2 comments: