Pages

Friday 15 October 2010

Playing the university game

Although I now have one offer under my metaphorical belt, I am still playing the university game. I don't want this to turn into a gloating post, so I will just get it out here and now and say that I am very pleased...and a tiny bit smug :) Right. Enough of that. Onto defining this game.

I was speaking to my best tea-buddy about this recently, and she made me think that applying to university really is like a dating game. First, you have to make the first move-get their prospectus, look at the website, go to the open day...a bit like meeting someone and then totally stalking them on Facebook. Well, this is what I've that heard people do, I of course have my future already mapped out as a cat-lady.
Anyway.

Then they think that you might like them- you have trekked half-way across the country for their open day after all. So then they start trying to encourage you. Have some freebies! Pens! Bags! Keyrings! Leaflets! Other promotional merchandise! A bit like someone buying you a (non-alcholic, OF COURSE) drink.

Then it gets a bit more tricky. They tell you their downside. Much like someone letting on that they are 2 years younger than you/have serious body odour issues/aren't actually single. "Oh by the way, now you know that you like us, you have to get impossible grades to come here." Gutted.

If you get over this hurdle and are brave/stupid enough to apply, you may be lucky and receive some sort of correspondance. Southampton sent me a lovely postcard saying that they were "considering my application". How lovely of them! Others opt for the slightly less nice generic email: "Dear-insert name here-, thank you for your application to -insert subject here-". And others don't send you anything at all...DURHAM. I would imagine that this is like getting a text off some totally fit guy. Eeeeew. Can't believe I said that. Hate. Self. Moving on.

When they finally stop umming and aaahing and just make decision, you get a mysterious email from UCAS saying "your application status has changed" Ooh-er. Perhaps a comparison in this day and age would be a text saying "We need to talk." Designed to inspire optimism.

I haven't accepted any university yet, but when I do, I suppose it's the equivalent of changing your relationship status. "Katie is now attending....who knows where."

The most annoying thing about applying is all the waiting around and not knowing. I want to make my choices now! I want offers now! I want decisions now! But speed is generally not in a university's vocabulary. No, they like to ponder their choices, to make absolutely sure that they're accepting the right person, very s-l-o-w-l-y. Gah! Sadly I have become an extremely impatient person since sending off my UCAS and this just makes me agitated!

While I wait on the rest of my offers (Pah!) I think I will be forced to take up something constructive like knitting, or husband-hunting. Or extra curricular reading, of course. In the meanwhile, I wish you all the best of luck in the university game!
xx

4 comments:

  1. Best. Metaphor. Ever.
    Where did you get an offer from? I haven't even given my form in yet since no one will give me my personal statement back! FREAKING OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! Sofi, I got my offer from Southampton. Don't worry, I had to apply crazily early for Oxford, so there's still plenty of time. But I feel your pain, such a mission!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM THAT TEA BUDDY!
    Im so proud of this influence I have :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete