Pages

Wednesday 20 October 2010

Gems from the school library

A bit like the school canteen, the school library also seems to operate in a strange, strange world. This year, I have been happily surprised by some good educational finds in there, which I never knew existed, and am nearly up to capacity on my library ticket. I know, I know, I do know how to have a good time.

But, when my mind wanders, as it so often does during my frees spent in the library, I start looking around at some of the books on display. You would have thought that these books would be ones that would encourage young people to be lovers of literature, "ripping good yarns", as my English teacher says, that would foster a life-long interest in books. Well my friends, you are sadly wrong.

The worst offender I have seen in the library is this:
Maybe I'm wrong, but the history of the humble toilet has never been something that particularly jumped out at me as one I just HAD to read up on. I especially love that this is illustrated :) I did a quick bit of research on Amazon, to see if I could buy this for my very own and I can! That seems to me like £6.99 well spent... surprise, surprise, this has never been taken out.

On the same day, I surprised my friend with a book entitled 'Mice, Rats and Gerbils'! She actually couldn't even look at the front cover, so great is her fear and all-round hatred of these creatures. As I was made to put it away immediately, I never found out whether this literary gem focused on care of these rodents, or was just a general reference guide. Both are equally appealing, of course.

Another one I've seen: 'Poems about Air', always good if you're doing a project on...air and want to liven it up with a bit of poetry.
Today I came across a whole book on 'Christmas Food', which seemed a) a bit early, considering it's OCTOBER!, and b) very weird for a school library. I suppose there may be some budding cooks in our school, but again, I doubt if this one has ever been borrowed.

Am I wrong? Should the library contain these classics? Perhaps you've seen a book you think is worthy of the prize for most random title. If so, let me know! Post a comment here on on the Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Katie B you have such a good sense of humour :) and becuase I too know how to have a good time, and becuase I really dont want to do my essay, I wikipedia-errd the worst book title prizes :)

    Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice

    The Joy of Chickens

    The Book of Marmalade: Its Antecedents, Its History, and Its Role in the World Today

    How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

    How to Avoid Huge Ships

    The Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories

    Living with Crazy Buttocks

    ReplyDelete