Pages

Friday 1 October 2010

Autumn Days: The reality sets in...

Oh dear, how my outlook has changed in a few days. Yes, sadly today the reality of autumn was brought home to me. Pouring rain, strong buffeting winds and the cold: this is what autumn is really like, none of my romanticised woolly jumper rubbish.
I had a horrible walk home which seemed to take about eighty times longer than normal. It didn't help that I forgot what my mum calls my "natty mac", so I was freezing in only my jacket and a scarf which kept blowing up and blinding me. I was also carrying what felt like a ten-tonne bag stuffed full of extra-curricular books, in the hope that I might just get round to reading them. They are rather soggy. I might have to go at my beloved History notes with a hairdryer...hope my writing on Napoleon hasn't smudged!
On top of this, I was carrying my violin. Oh, you didn't know I played? Well, I am a girl of many talents...and playing the violin is definitely NOT one of them! However, I am doing a favour for one of the most lovely people in the world (hey Han :P) so I dusted off the ol' fiddle and attempted to practise at school. But today, I remembered the reason that I avoid playing the violin. It is SO impractical to get anywhere. Admittedly, it could be worse-I could play the bassoon, or the cello or a whopping great harp, but I got some funny looks on The Train today. My violin case is shaped a bit like a banana, and a bit like a surfboard, so that it does not in fact resemble a violin at all. I  must have looked like some sort of wet, dishevelled pack-horse with a frizz problem as I plodded home today. I will be writing to John '£4.99-a-bottle-' Freida to complain that his Frizz Ease did most certainly NOT ease my frizz today. It obviously cannot stand up to the great British weather.
And another thing! My shoes should carry a health warning. To make it clear, I am not the sort of person who goes in for black leather sexy stilletto boots. No, these were just bog-standard high street ankle ones with a little heel-nice and comfy, and they make a cool clip-cloppy sound :) But today they were an absolute death trap thanks to the lovely mush of mashed up conker shell, conkers and wet leaves that carpeted the roads. One of these days, I am going to make a right fool of myself and slip. Just you wait, it won't be long before I post something entitled 'The fall'.
Oh dear, I'm actually in a great mood, despite what you  might think! So, hopefully the rain will stop soon and I will be able to enjoy autumn once more. Roll on Christmas, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment