Pages

Thursday 10 March 2011

World Book Day


Crowds of wizards, hordes of pirates and packs of animals descended on schools across the area last week. This was not some sort of youth fancy dress convention, but all in aid of World Book Day, which took place on Thursday, 3rd March.

This brings back great memories for me. But at the time, it always induced panic as the day loomed dangerously close and I was still costume-less. ‘Costume drama’ took on another meaning in my desperate search for inspiration. I am indebted to my mum’s quick thinking as she ran up Harry Potter cloaks on the sewing machine or plaited my hair with pipe cleaners, Pippy Longstocking-style.

At my current school, Book Day is taken very seriously. People start planning their outfits months in advance, hoping to win a prize in the lunchtime parade.

The biggest fancy-dress faux-pas is to go as a little known character, prompting that awful question: ‘and who are you meant to be?’

I have full experience of this. Once I accessorised my normal clothes with mittens, tail and a full cat headdress to go as Puss in Boots. This did not have the desired effect. Apparently, I did not resemble the perfect feline, but merely a person in normal clothes with a cat head. Humiliation.

World Book Day never fails to make me remember why I love my school, and how lucky I am to belong to such a good community. It’s worth making an utter fool of myself just for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment