Pages

Sunday 6 February 2011

Album Review: 21

Never one to shy away from challenge, I have decided to turn  music critic for a one-off post. Not one of those poncey self-important "I'm so indie, I hate manufactured pop" types- I hope. Just me writing about music that I like. So, here goes...

The reason behind this sudden reinvention is, quite simply, my love of the album in question. Adele's 21 is the best album I have bought (ok, downloaded, but totally legally), in a very long time. Usually, I like a few songs out of the dozen or so (Bombay Bicycle Club's Flaws, for example), but in this case I am struggling to pick a favourite track.

The follow up from her equally great 19, 21 is a beautiful mix of  husky soul, catchy pop and pure girl power. From the mellow Lovesong to the sassy Rumour Has It, there is something for everyone. The album tells the tale of love lost and found...mainly lost. But, Adele seems to say, pick yourself up, write a song and show them what they're missing.

Feeling depressed? Wallow in self-pity as you let the pleading lyrics of Don't You Remember wash over you like some sort of tearful tidal-wave. At the other end of the scale, Rolling In The Deep with its pounding bass drum  is the perfect 'go get 'em' song.

The lyrics of 21 latched onto something in my brain and I soon found myself singing along...although I will  never be able to compete with Adele's voice, which has the power to simulataneously wrap you up in a musical hug and slap you round the face. Perhaps the only advantage of the cold which has currently taken over my entire being is that I am gradually perfecting the perfect Adele husky warble.

One of my favourite bits which I can't get out of my head is from Someone Like You. You can hear the emotion pouring out of her voice in the chorus.
"You know how the time flies,
Only yesterday was the time of our lives
We were born and raised in a summer haze,
Bound by the surprise of our glory days"

Poetic genius...well I think so.

The only downside I can see  is that some of the songs are a bit same-y. But, as I am slowly becoming obsessed with her, I like more of the same. If same is so good, why have variety?

I'll leave you with a live version of  the next single to be released from 21 ( I think). Whilst Adele isn't very hard, I love her. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment