Pages

Thursday 23 September 2010

Autumn Days

It's official. Well, by my estimations anyway. Autumn is officially upon us. Yes, the lazy, hazy days of summer are past, and October and the darkness of winter is beckoning. There are several things that have brought me to this conclusion. Of course, the gazillions of leaves forming a slightly crunchy orange carpet underfoot. Then, the sudden appearance of conkers. I don't know about you, but this was a major highlight of my childhood, so good it almost made going back to school bearable. I loved how shiny and soft they were, yet if you ever tried to crack them open, it was impossible. The other day, I was caught in a flash of nostalgia as I saw a little girl filling whole carrier bags with the things. I don't think I ever played a game of conkers with them though, that would have spoiled them. I just accumulated a little collection :)
Lastly, a more personal observation. My legs have already become engulfed in the black tights which will swallow them up until about mid-May, when they will appear again, pasty white and chicken-like. I actually quite like this part of Autumn, the wearing lots of layers part. Recently I've found myself browsing the Internet and being strangely attracted to cable-knit dresses and big bobbly granny jumpers.  I am secretly looking forward in investing in a new pair of boots, some cosy (yet practical!) knitwear, and a wooly beret. Who needs summer, with its constant faff of hair removal and fake tanning? I am naturally about as white as a milk bottle, and any attempt to tan, be it naturally or un-naturally, results in sunburn or attractive orange streaks on the backs of my legs where I've neglected to rub the stuff in tiny tiny circles, or exfoliate properly. Gah! I usually try for about a month and then just give up and embrace my natural ghost skin!So, I am looking forward to autumn, when I can be as pale as ever, and no one will ever know! Genius, thank you Mother Nature.
I think I should make a resolution for the coming season. I promise not to moan (too much) when I can't feel my toes on the way to school, when conkers hit me on the head falling from trees or when I get caught in the autumn showers and my hair becomes even more frizzy than it already is. I resolve to embrace the season in all its colour and to wrap up warm in a nice new coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment