Pages

Thursday 14 April 2011

School Photos

Say cheese! Another in a series of lasts- my last school photo.

Ever since I can remember, this has been a traumatic experience.

When I was very little, I remember the pain as the photographer tugged at my unruly mop of curls with his plastic comb in an effort to control them, with little success.

As I got older, photo day only got worse. I always left the house thinking I looked at least relatively presentable, only to get a nasty surprise when I got to school. But there was never any way to correct it-the toilets were full to the brim with girls peering and preening in the mirror.

In terms of the photo-pose dilemma, I once tried to look naturally happy by laughing, only to be told that I looked like I was going to explode by the photographer. Wow, self-confidence minus fifty. Needless to say, in the second attempt I’m almost frowning

I thought by now that I had mastered the whole photo debacle, but apparently not. This year, I was embarrassingly called back to have it taken again because I had my eyes shut.

Whatever it looks like, if my eyes are scarily wide, if my hair resembles a frizzy bird’s nest, or if I have bags the size of suitcases under my eyes*, I will certainly be buying my last school photo, if only for old time’s sake.


*Ah the irony. I wrote this before I got my photo back, and guess what? I have not only frizzy bird's nest hair and bags under my eyes, but also a confused/uncomfortable expression. My darling friend C told me that I looked "rough" But I've ordered it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment